Medication Safety in Pregnancy
Over The Counter Medications and Home Remedies Used In Pregnancy
Nausea & Vomiting
- Ginger tea or tablets
- Try eating small meals (crackers, sprite, and hot tea)
- Morning Sickness: try crackers before getting out of bed
- Preggie Pops
- Sea sickness bracelet
Gas & Indigestion
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals
- Stay upright for 30 minutes after each meal
- Take Maalox for indigestion
- Take Tums, Mylanta for heartburn
- Take Mylicon, Gaviscon, Gas X for gas
Pain Reliever & Fever Reducer
- *Absolutely NO aspirin or ibuprofen products, unless specifically recommended by your physician.*
Cold, Flu, Sinusitis & Allergies
- Saline (salt water) lavage such as neti pot
- Increase fluids and rest
- Sudafed, Actifed
- Ocean nasal spray
- Robitussin DM
- Benadryl or Claritin
- Tylenol cold and sinus
- Sucrets or Chloraseptic lozenges
- Cepacol throat spray
- Imodium AD
- Gatorade and Water
- Limit dairy products
- BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast)
- Increase water and high fiber foods
- Drink grape or apple juice
- Take Fibercon, Colace, Citrucel or Benefiber
- Prevent constipation
- Use tucks pads, Preparation H, Proctogel, Anusol, Nupercainal cream
Nutrition For You And Your Baby
Recommended weight gain 25lbs to 35lbs (add 10 extra lbs for twin pregnancy).
During pregnancy, liquids must be a minimum of 8 glasses daily; water and pasteurized juices.
Soft cheese and milk must be pasteurized due to Listeria Bacterium, which can be present in these products.
Limit fats and sugars because these are empty calories.
Fruits: 2 to 4 servings daily.
Vegetables: 3 to 5 servings daily (1 half cup equals 1 serving).
Meats and Protein foods: 3 to 5 servings (equals 2 1/2oz per serving).
Grains: 6 to 11 servings daily (includes pasta, 1 slice of bread is considered one serving).
Dairy Products: 4 servings daily (pasteurized products, chief source of calcium).
For your convenience, you can now pre-register for delivery at Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital online. Choose the ‘Pre-Registration‘ drop down link under ‘For Patients‘. Please begin to do this at the 28th week of your pregnancy.
Prepared Childbirth & New Parent Classes
Memorial Herman The Woodlands Hospital offers childbirth preparation classes, breastfeeding support classes, Big Brother and Big Sister classes and newborn care classes. For more information or to register, call 713-222-CARE.